Municipal Services

Water & Sewage

Most homeowners may not realize they are responsible for the maintenance and repair of their house or sewer lateral (the pipeline between the municipal sewer main and the building).

Some of the most common causes of sewer backups are:

  • aging sewer systems: older sewer lines and systems can contribute to increases in sanitary sewer backups, flooded basements, and overflows
  • combined pipelines: some systems combine stormwater and raw sewage into the same pipeline, which means that during rain storms or spring melt, the systems are exposed to more volume than they can handle
  • tree roots: small roots of trees and shrubs can make their way into sewer line cracks and service pipe joints - in this case, the cost of clean up may fall on the tree's owner
  • sanitary main blockages: often blockages of this type occur slowly, and there are early indications of the problem - if you see seepage at the floor drains, call a licensed plumber to assess the situation

If water is entering your basement rapidly, call the municipality Operations Department and report the problem immediately.


How to prevent backups in your sewer lateral and in the Municipality's main:

  • Properly dispose of grease: cooking oil should be poured into a heat-resistant container and disposed of properly after it cools off, not in the drain. If grease is washed down the drain, even with hot water, as the grease cools off it will solidify either in the drain, your sewer line, or in the main sewer line, which will eventually clog the line.
  • Properly dispose of paper products: paper towels, disposable diapers, hygienic wipes (even those that say flushable!) and feminine products do not deteriorate quickly and can cause trouble in either the property owner's line or the main sewer line.
  • Use your garbage disposal correctly: always run water before and after to wash food waste down the drain.
  • Don't flush anything else! Kitty litter, for example, is GREAT at clumping up when it meets water - not good for your drains!
  • Periodically cut tree roots: if you have continuing problems with tree roots in your lateral, you may have to regularly have the roots cut by a professional.
  • Disconnect downspouts, foundation drains and weeping tiles from the municipal drain.
  • Add extensions to your downspouts so that rainwater runs away from the house onto the grass or garden instead of the driveway.
  • Replace your line with new plastic pipe: plastic pipe prevents tree roots from entering your line.
  • Correct illegal plumbing connections: do not connect French drains, sump pumps, and other flood control systems to your sanitary sewer, as debris and silt will clog your line.
  • Install a backwater prevention valve: this fixture can be installed into a sewer line in the basement of your home or business to prevent sewer backflows. Be sure to have it installed by a qualified plumber.
  • Install a sump pump: if your house is in an area where flooding is likely, a sump pump will remove water that accumulates in the basement or crawl space.


Recognize the signs of a sewer backup:

  • Seepage at basement floor drains
  • A foul smell coming from your drains
  • Toilets aren't flushing like they should, and plunging doesn't help
  • More than one drain in your house is clogged
  • When you use one piece of plumbing (like a toilet), water backs up somewhere else
  • Bubbling after you flush a toilet or when a sink is trying to drain (and it happens more than once)

If you notice any of these signs, contact a plumber right away.

If you notice sewage flowing into your drains, toilets, or bathtubs, a sewer backup may already be occurring. If this happens, you should stop using your water, turn off your house's main water supply, and contact a plumber. You can also contact the Municipality's Operations Department to see if they can assist in determining if the problem is in the main sewer or in your own pipe before you bring in a plumber.

Water and Sewer services are available in the urban service area of Callander. The 2023 water rate is $4.928330 per cubic meters of water used. The wastewater rate for 2023 is $4.625362, calculated at 93.85% of the water useage per cubic meter. There is a minimum quarterly fee of $74.61.  Water bills are sent out on a quarterly basis, based on meter readings and consumption:

1st Quarter         Representing December 15 to March 15 consumption: due April 30th
2nd Quarter        Representing March 16 to June 15 consumption: due July 31st
3rd Quarter         Representing June 16 to September 15 consumption: due October 31st
4th Quarter         Representing September 16 to December 15 consumption: due January 31st




Want to recieve your bill by email? Email to request future bills by email.

Methods of payment: Personal Cheques, Cash, and Interac available. Pre-authorized payment option on due date is available for water/sewer bills.

On-line Banking / Telephone Payments through your Financial Institution can be made by searching for "Callander" on their Payee listing (sometimes appears as "Municipality of...." or "Corporation of...."), then choose "Water”.  When inputting your Water Account #, include all 12 digits. 

Water sampling: Bacterial sample results and quarterly reports are available at the Main Office.

Contact: Please contact Finance at (705) 752-1410 ext. 226 or via e-mail to for additional information or inquiries regarding water, sewer and for a final meter reading prior to sale and/or change of tenancy.

The Council for the Municipality of Callander has adopted By-Law 2015-1479, which requires septic tanks adjacent to Lake Nipissing and Callander Bay and its inflowing watercourses to be pumped out at least once every three (3) years for permanent residences and once every five (5) years for seasonal residences (used less than twelve weeks per year). Proof of Pump Out must be provided no more than 30 days after pumping out and before December 31st of every third (3) year or every fifth (5) year if it is deemed a seasonal property. 

Why Is the Pump-Out Required?

Callander Bay is an important resource of the Municipality of Callander. The bay is the sole source of drinking water for the Municipality of Callander’s municipal water distribution system and the source of drinking water for the private water systems of hundreds of homes located in our community. The Municipality of Callander deems it necessary to protect the health of the bay from any impacts from septic systems located adjacent to Callander Bay or its tributaries.

Best practices suggested by the Ministry of the Environment of Ontario and by the operating and maintenance guidelines of most suppliers of septic systems, suggest that the system’s septic tanks be pumped out every three (3) to five (5) years depending on their use for optimum performance of the septic system.

In general, this timeline has been set since septic systems typically need to be emptied in this period to prevent them from exceeding their holding capacity. If a septic tank is not emptied frequently enough, the holding cell for solids may reach its capacity and overflow, leading to the seepage of sewage into nearby watercourses. These situations could have detrimental effects on the quality of the Municipality of Callander’s drinking water and the health of the bay.


The map indicates subject area of the By-law.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Provide the Required Verification?

To confirm that your property complies, you must submit the receipt from the company that completed your pump out and complete the Proof of Septic Tank Pump Out Form.

To submit proof of septic tank pump out form and receipt from the pumping company, either mail or drop off the documents to:

The Municipality of Callander

280 Main Street, North

Box 100

Callander, ON P0H 1H0

How do I Obtain a Certificate of Compliance for Property Sales?


If you require of a certificate of compliance to prove that your septic tank is in compliance with this By-law, please contact the Planning Administrator at 705-752-1410 x 306.

If you are a solicitor enquiring on behalf of a property for sale, please submit the Septic System Compliance Enquiry Form.

Who Is Responsible for Operating and Maintaining my Septic System?

Septic systems are privately owned and are not connected to municipal sewer lines. Therefore, the owner of a septic system is responsible for the care or maintenance of their system as well ensuring that it is in compliance with all rules and regulations. By taking proper care of your septic system, you will ensure that it remains effective and efficient for the life of the system while optimizing its longevity.

The following sites provide some helpful hints for operating and maintaining your septic system.

Who Can I Contact for Inspections and Permits

For inspections and permits, the North Bay-Mattawa Conservation Authority was designated under the Ontario Building Code (OBC-1997) to conduct inspections and issue sewage system permits across the Nipissing District and defined areas within the Parry Sound District. This includes the area surrounding Callander Bay.

In addition, building permits may be required from the Municipality of Callander’s Building Department. To determine if you require a building permit contact the Chief Building Official at 705-752-1410 x 307


Municipal Contact

For additional information or should you have any questions regarding the Septic Pump Out By-law No. 2015-1478 please contact the Planning Administrator at 705-752-1410 x 306.

If you are unsure when the last pumping out of your septic system was done, you can contact the Planning Administrator to inquire.

Did you know?

As a homeowner you are responsible for the water and sewer service lines buried on your private property. A breakdown to these lines could happen without warning resulting in an unexpected and costly emergency repair. The lifespan of a service line depends on many factors including construction material, soil conditions and the location, number and species of nearby trees. While not typically covered by basic homeowners’ insurance, residents are encouraged to check with their provider to confirm if they have existing coverage. Residents may also consider coverage from an external service plan provider.


Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC)

The Municipality of Callander has partnered with Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC) to offer eligible homeowners optional repair plans to help protect residents against potentially expensive emergency repairs to water service lines or well and sewer/septic lines on their private property.

Participation is optional and voluntary for homeowners. The program is solely managed by SLWC and uses no public funds. Residents will not be solicited in person or by phone. A homeowner who chooses to enroll in this program should do so with the knowledge that the Municipality of Callander in no way warrants or is liable for the work or performance of SLWC.

Is a resident obligated to purchase coverage?
No. This is an optional, voluntary program. This program is being offered to our residents for their convenience. Residents are under no obligation to purchase any service plans, and residents’ utility service will not be affected in any way if they choose not to participate in this program.
Isn’t this the same as homeowners insurance?
Residents are encouraged to contact their home insurance provider and find out what their coverage is in this area. Chances are that some damages would be covered, but the actual repair or replacement of the pipes would not. This can cost thousands of dollars. A couple of insurance companies are now offering this as a “rider” to a homeowner policy.
However, a homeowners insurance policy rider may require a deductible and an out-of-pocket cost upfront, with the homeowner being reimbursed after the fact. Homeowners also must find their own contractors.
Service Line Warranties of Canada does not have any call-out fees or deductibles. Contractors are pre- screened, dispatched and paid directly by Service Line Warranties.

THE SLWC recently launch the SLWC Cares program designed to help residents in financial need faced with service line emergency with no form of coverage and no way to pay their repair bills. For more information, please visit:


For more Information on available plans, please contact SLWC:

  • Website
  • Toll-free phone number: 1-844-616-8444

Or to learn more on how this partnership works, please view the video below